Saturday, January 2, 2016

December Break

OMG? The weather in December has got to GO!

What has the weather been like where you live? 



As for school and work this December was smack full of all kinds of adventures for my students and I! We had a blast learning about story elements using my unit on Gingerbread.
                               


The door to my classroom turned out super cute! I will post a picture soon.
We even made Gingerbread ornaments to take home an hang on our Christmas trees. 
Have you ever made them? They are so easy to make and they last forever! All you need are these supplies pictured below:



I usually start with a half of jar of a Apple Sauce and then I mix in the Cinnamon do get a dough mixture. Next, let the dough sit for a few days in a gallon Ziplock bag. Take it to school use extra Cinnamon as flour so that the dough will not stick to the table. Have your students use a Gingerbread Man cookie cutter to create their creation in the dough. Using a straw poke a hole at the top of the ornaments head (to use for ribbon later to hang the ornament).



Make sure each student has a piece of wax paper with their name written on it have the students sit their ornament creation on it to dry for 2-3 days. After it has dried, have the students decorate it using white Puff paint. Allow it to dry at least 2 days before putting the ribbon through the hole at the top.

 


Instead of having Polar Express, we have adopted Frozen Day instead, same concept; however, we just watch Frozen instead!


I love hearing them sing the lyrics to the songs!! This year the loudest one singing is a boy, I adore it and him! Check it out! 

We also made Jack Skellington ornaments! You know I JUST had to!!!

We even had Tacky Christmas Sweater Day!


Wow! This year has been so jam packed! What have you done in December that was fun with your students? I would love for anyone to share!

For Christmas this year I bought fleece at the local Hancock Fabrics, for the girls I bought Disney princess fleece theme and for the boys I bought Superhero fleece. I got it all on sale and with my teacher's discount it only cost me about $20.00. Nice, right? I then cut the scarves on the fabric at about 5-6 inches a piece. I had 24 scarves total made. Then I cut the ends of the scarves about 1-2 inches up. My third graders last year put pony beads on the ends and we knotted them off. However, with first graders I would be knotting them all, lol, not what one wants to do on the Friday before the winter break! This year I have an AMAZING mom in my room who is the QUEEN of putting vinyl on anything. So this year she hooked my students up! Check out the pictures below:



On the last day of school before winter break we also had Grinch Day! We all wore our red and green and had Grinch festivities! Of course we read the book, so many were amazed that in the book the Grinch was white and not GREEN. We talked watched the original (We did not have time for the newer movie, even though I do LOVE it!) We did Grinch math word problems, sequenced the story, and made Grinch mask to wear to the Holiday Sing-a-Long! Along with the scarves,  I also made them Grinch popcorn! It wasn't that hard to make, it was a lot like making Rice Krispy treats. The popcorn is just substituted as the Rice Krispies. I used stove popped popcorn, marshmallows, green food coloring, red M&Ms, and sprinkles for extra sparkle.



Check out the FREEBIE Grinch Tags I made to go along with my students Grinch popcorn.

This December break has been the most refreshing break of all the breaks we have had this year.
Christopher does MMA, we are all into the UFC events, if you didn't know that already. Christopher trains MMA at a gym in called, RUSH. Well, he went and tested for his green belt and got it! (I have started taking Kick Boxing, can I tell you that I am so NOT athletic in any kind of way.)
 I was so excited for him.



While we were in Atlanta, we went to Sublime Donuts! Can you say YUM??? They have the BEST donuts ever! They use fresh fruit and homemade cream to put in their donuts. They are delicious. If you are ever near them in Atlanta, you have to check them out!
Don't they look delicious! They taste even better!



We got to see the NEW STAR WARS, it was fabulous!!If you haven't seen it, it is a MUST.

I have had a teacherspayteachers.com product to post for a Star Wars Classroom Theme for over 2 years now and I haven't had a moment to finish it. Well seeing the movie sparked me to completing it and posting it. I can't wait to change my theme next year. EEKKK, my inner NERD is screaming with excitement!!!

Every winter break we try to watch all of the Harry Potter movies. During this time we also make our own Gingerbread House. Great memories, I have loved making them all this year.


 I have loved spending every moment with the LOVE of my life! 
Here is our year in review:

 

2015 has been oh, so grand we can't wait to see what is in store for 2016!
Since it is the NEW YEAR, enjoy this FREEBIE too!!
Happy New Year!

No comments :

Post a Comment